Lower Back Pain | Causes, Symptoms and Treatment for Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain or lumbago affects more than 80% of the people at some stage of life and can be very bothering. No specific reason can be assigned for this disease and the pain can be chronic, moderate and acute. This musculoskeletal disorder impedes free movement of an individual and the serious cases often demand total bed rest. The symptoms sometimes persist for a week and subside and may relapse after a gap of few weeks or months.
The following symptoms are the indications of Lower back pain –
1. Pain in back while bending, moving and walking.
2. The pain is felt in the buttocks and pains that can last for 48 to 72 hours.
3. Often the pain may extend below the knee to the foot and ankle.
4. Pain felt while sneezing and coughing.
5. Stiffness in the back and the hip muscles.
Though back pains don’t have any specific cause but some underlying reasons can be:
1. Any injury to the back muscles, spine and back bone that can result in this problem.
2. Abnormal functioning of the abdominal organs.
3. Pressure on the nerve roots or Sciatica is another factor.
4. Degeneration of the spinal discs.
5. Spondylosis, Fibromylagia and Osteomyelitis are other causes of lower backache.
6. Even smoking can cause lower backache.
In case of moderate and sub acute back pains some self care treatments and medications are enough to cure the disorder but in chronic cases regular exercises with due precautions must be carried to keep the pain in check.
1. Sleeping with pillows in between the knees or sleeping lying on the back with knees resting on the pillow gives some comfort and so are often recommended by doctors.
2. Exercises are beneficial for chronic back pain as it improves the blood circulation in the muscles.
3. Some backache may require long bed rest depending upon the severity of the pain.
4. Painkillers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen are prescribed to relieve the back pain.
5. Application of heat and ice packs are also found to be beneficial in some cases.
6. Application of a pack of black mustard seeds produces intense heat that lowers the back pain.
Read about Home Remedies for Backache .
Low back pain symptoms are sometimes just bothersome, such as dull aches or tenderness, but can be severe in some cases. That’s why you need to be able to target the pain, learn about the symptoms that you’re experiencing, and know when you need to see a doctor and when you can just wait it out to see if it goes away. In some cases, symptoms can even seem like they’re related to low back pain but be the root of a different problem, such as when you have kidney problems or shingles, which is common in older adults.
Make sure that you are aware of where the acute pain is, what symptoms accompany it, and how severe it is. You never want to assume that it’s just a sore muscle when the pain is too much to bear, because this could lead to prolonged injury, permanent damage, or even severe illness because you didn’t recognize that it wasn’t actually back pain at all. Keep these things in mind when checking out your symptoms and you’ll be better prepared.
Also know how Herbal Pain Relief Oil helps relieve arthritis and joint pain. Find powerful herbal Erectile Dysfunction Pills to improve lovemaking performance.